Wingatui is an island-platform station and has identical facades to both platform elevations. A squat, compact structure, it has a corrugated-iron roof and rusticated weatherboard cladding. There are two chimneys, and verandahs to both elevations.
It is not known when the first Wingatui station was built, but the Dunedin-Mosgiel line opened in 1875 and the original building may have been built just prior to this. With Dunedin's growth and a steady increase in both long-distance and suburban traffic, duplication of the line was deemed necessary. First mooted in 1908, plans involved moving the station and erecting a new building. Despite objection from local residents, who were not happy about having to walk further, the decision to move the station stood. By early 1914 the building, "similar in design to Caversham" but 4 to 5 metres shorter, had been erected and, later in the year, track duplication to Mosgiel was completed. The accompanying signal box was built the previous year to service the junction with the Otago Central Line, at the west end of the station. From 1967 Wingatui was an attended flag station, manned for signalling purposes, and in 1986 it was closed except for operating purposes. The station was proposed for removal two years later but remains on site. It is still used by Taieri Gorge Railway passengers.